Tuesday, March 8, 2011

March is here!

We have been living in Carlsbad NM for over a year now. That seems like a really long time and not so long at the same time. There are some things that I do like about living here.....the ward, the friends we have made, the little house we live in. However, there are some things I really struggle with......almost no shopping, temple 3 hours away, and by far the biggest is my family being so far away.

We lived in Arizona for 2.5 years and it was a struggle but easier than it has been in NM. Phoenix was closer for us to drive to Utah/Idaho to see family. We also had a very large airport that we could fly to Salt Lake very easily. Four of my six siblings visited us while we lived there as well. Not to mention the shopping...oh the shopping. Some days I dream about how great the shopping was where we lived. I had access to anything I could ever want extremely close to my house.

While we have lived here my mom and dad have driven down and my sister has driven down. I appreciate both of those visits more than I can really express.

5 of my 6 siblings live in Northern Utah/Southeast Idaho. One of my sisters moved to Cardston last summer, so we are no longer the only ones not living in that area.

Now, I don't want to live next door to my family (I love them, but....)....but being closer is something I dream about constantly. Having family close for babies, important events, and just hanging out on a Friday night sometimes for fun are things I dream about.

When we were almost done with grad school we had decided we were going to move to Sandy for Rob's final internship and then try to find a job afterwards. I was so excited about that prospect....being so close to my family. But as we looked towards our future, we decided it wasn't in our best interest to move up there for an internship and then possibly have to move away for a job. The day we decided that was a dark day for me.

I want my children to know their cousins. I want to not have to stress about finding someone to watch my kids in emergencies or when we have a baby. I want to hang out with my sisters for fun.

I dream about winning a contest so we have the money to move there. I look for jobs in Idaho/Utah/Colorado often to see if I can find anything that would enable us to move north anytime soon.

But, alas. We are here and I am trying my best to make the best of this experience.

My family is having our annual "Waite Family Fun Days" in Island Park this year. Driving all that way with our 2 children seems like an extremely daunting task, not to mention rising gas prices. Right now I think I would be okay if we don't go....but I know that when that time comes and my six siblings are all together and we are the only ones not there is going to be a hard day for me to handle.

I know that in the grand scheme of things, this trial is not a huge one. But, it has definitely been on my mind lately. Someday I hope to be closer so my children can be friends with their cousins, I can hang out with my sisters for a fun weekend, and so my family can be a part of our important events. That dream is years away at this point.....but, someday........

5 comments:

Shell said...

Bryson, Jaedyn and James would love that too. They loved spending time with Lily and they can't wait to see Ella. Until then we have Skype...thank heaven for technology.

Kaylynn said...

We wish you lived closer, too. But we do hope you can come to WFF.

All-stater said...

Well-written post, Sharon. I can totally understand wanting your kids to know their cousins. We grew up without really knowing ours, and that was a bummer. My kids talk about your kids all the time, so as far as we're concerned we are still close. :) We will make it down to visit you sometime! Love you!
(From Jeanette)

Julie said...

I've never lived farther than Orem from home, so I can only imagine how hard it would be. We love you and miss you much.

Mindy said...

I completely understand what you mean. Being another country away has been hard, especially now that I have a baby I want him to be close to family and see him grow up. That is why I am so grateful for skype! :)