Thursday, July 2, 2009

How much sitting have you done lately?

So, since having a child I have learned a few things....or like to think that I have.
When my husband gets home from school he usually asks me how my day went and what I did. I usually have a few things to say...got the mail, laundry, cleaning, dishes, grocery shopping, etc. But, I usually feel like the bulk of my day is sitting around watching my little lady do this....




or this....


or this....

or this....

or this.....

So, I usually want to respond that I spent the day sitting in our living room playing and watching our little goober play. And, she is at that stage that if I sit on the floor by her she is happy for hours...but if I stand up to accomplish anything.....ANYTHING....then she is hugging my knees and wants to be picked up. So, a lot of sitting naturally takes place in my life.
Newborns require a lot of sitting. You sit and hold them a lot. Feed them, rock them, hold them sleeping, etc. Anyway you look at it there is a lot of sitting going on.
Sometimes all we need in life is to just have someone sit with us. When we have had a bad day, we just want someone to sit with us. When I was in labor and my mom got there right at the end and was just able to sit with me was one of the greatest things in the world. When I ended up in the ER for the first time at 18 in Rexburg, all I wanted was for my mom to come and sit with me. Sitting in the Celestial Room with your eternal companion.....is pretty much all you need in life.
Sometimes all any of us need is someone to sit with us.....Here is to sitting.....and just plain being there for those who need it the most!

3 comments:

Heather@Women in the Scriptures said...

And it is amazing how exhausted you can get sometimes at the end of a day of "sitting"! Even just watching my little boy play seems to take all my energy because he demands SO much time and attention. I like your perspective about how important sitting is-- it is nice to realize that what we do as mothers really is important, even if sometimes it doesn't look like :)And Lily is getting so big! She is beautiful.

Deanna said...

I remember feeling that way...not so much now! With Tanner and Taylor playing together a lot better, if I sit down, one of them is taken out with a punch to the gut or a side swipe with a toy...I can't believe how active they are! Watch out...you won't be sitting for long! :)

P.S. - She's a doll!

JulieJ said...

Great post! Sometimes as a mom you feel guilty when all you do is sit with your kids, but really that is part of our job description right? A lady at Sams stopped us today and told us what a beautiful family we had and to enjoy because they would be gone before we knew it. Enjoy sitting your with precious little one. I know I do!