I am in favor of epidurals and childbirth in hospitals. Here is my thoughts on why--you can agree or disagree, but I have to share my point of view. I am not trying to "justify" my choice at all. I am just sharing my experience.
- My husband watched me endure enough pain. My husband has watched me endure many physical trials in our marriage--miscarriages, kidney stones, gall stones, surgery, and labor included. I did not feel that he needed to watch me endure any more. It almost killed him to watch me in as much pain as I was in already.
- My labor was 40 hours long. I was in labor for 30 hours at home. I was in labor for 32 hours before I got my epidural. I was so exhausted by the time I got the epidural, that I was not mentally there. I wanted to be mentally present for the birth of my child.
- I was able to rest before I gave birth. After the epidural I was able to rest, have a sweet discussion with my husband about what a great thing we were doing, and mentally prepare myself. If I had been in pain straight through, I would have not been able to rest or appreciate what I was doing or how great this was.
- The birth of my child was a very spiritual experience. I felt fully present for the birth of my child. I was way more concerned about her, about how she was doing, about how blessed we were. My thoughts did not center on "getting through" this experience and toughing it out. I felt the heavens open when she came into my life. In my experience, being in less pain made it more spiritual because I was more open to promptings and not so worried about the pain I was in. I have heard other people insinuate that having a natural childbirth makes it more spiritual. I am not saying one way is more spiritual than another, but for me, my experience was a literal opening into heaven.
- I was not going to take any chances if anything went wrong. I have a sister and a nephew who may not be here if they had not been in a hospital with all medical advances in the world available to them. That is pretty sobering. I also had two miscarriages and had some other complications, and was not going to take any more chances. I wanted every medical advance available to me in case something did go wrong.
- My doctor, nurses, and my whole birthing experience was great for me. My mom was able to be there holding my hand and encouraging me right as I was pushing my daughter into the world. My doctor encouraged me and gave me such great support. My husband was there and supporting me. I wanted the experience to be about my baby coming into the world, and not about helping me to "get through" this experience. Everyone was very encouraging and supportive. But, we were all focused on this sweet little spirit, and not worried about me and how much pain I was in.
Women used to die from childbirth, and I think that not taking advantage of the medical advances available is a tough choice to make.
I am sorry if this sounds preachy, but I had to get my thoughts out there! Agree or disagree, we all have our own opinions.
6 comments:
Thank you for sharing your insightful thoughts, Sharon! I know I haven't had to really even consider this yet, since I'm not married or even dating anyone, but I really appreciate getting this side of the spectrum - I feel like those who are all for natural childbirth are louder propagators as they inundate us with that information. But these are really great insights!
All I can say is "Amen amen amen!"
I agree. It made me cry thinking back to all of it again. My beautiful baby girl would I have had her at home. Before I even delivered her there were several doctors and NICU doctors in the room ready to take her away from me. She had some complications and had to stay in the NICU for a week. I can't explain how grateful I am for those doctors to save her life. It is the worst feeling in the world to have your child taken away from you. I think I briefly caught a glimpse of what our Father in Heaven may have felt like when his only begotten son was taken away from him. It opened my eyes and to this day I cry when I think about it. Thanks for this post!
I have to say amen too. Have you seen Baby Mama? You have to watch this scene:
http://www.fandango.com/videos_1_256661
It says it all!
Sharon thanks for giving the other side perspective, I think you have some beautiful insights. Birth by nature is spritual and I appreciate you reminding me that no matter how a baby is born, mothers still have spritual experiences. I am really happy that you had a good birth experience and that the epidural was a good thing for you!There is no right way to give birth, you just have to do what you feel is best for you and your baby.
Thanks for sharing your experience-- I put a link to it on my blog-- I hope you don't mind-- but I think it is good to get both sides of the story so that women are educated enough to make the decison that is right for them.
Sharon, this was good to read. Obviously I've never experienced either side of childbirth, but I can appreciate your thoughts and feelings on it. I'm glad that it was a spiritual experience for you and that you have a healthy little girl. Maybe I'll do a post about how adoption is yet another way we moms bring our children into our hearts and homes:)
Post a Comment