Monday, July 14, 2008

Bouncers/Swings....your thoughts

Okay, so I talked to my mother on the phone last night. She told me I HAVE to start getting more stuff ready for the baby. She was slightly concerned that I still don't have diapers, a car seat, and a million other little things she deems important. So, she told me I HAVE to do those things this week. I also have to pack a bag for the hospital. She is right and I need to be more prepared, but I am feeling a bit overwhelmed. I do need to get those things done since I have already had contractions, etc.
Anyway, one of my questions going out to those other blogging mothers out there is
Bouncer or Swing and why? I want to get all of the "big" items this week and I wanted to know whether we would need a Bouncer or a Swing? Or does it just depend on my child?

Which one do you think is better?

5 comments:

TwinkleBee said...

I know I'm not a mother yet, but I would suggest um.. both. I babysit alot out here and have neices and nephews, the bouncer is more portable for babysitters, travel etc. but there is something about the swing that calms the baby and lulls them to sleep, having the motion rather being stationary. One of my good friends just has the bouncer and used it ALL the time. anyways-just some thoughts from a future mother :) You can buy all this stuff almost brand new but for cheap at garage sales. I see them all the time out here and babies use them for such a short amount of time they'd be like new, then you could get both for less! :) Hope all is well with you guys!

MortFamily said...

Hey there-
Okay, so bouncers are great so you have some "SHaron" time or just can clean something. I would have died without ours. Its nice to have somewhere they can chill and not be exactly lying down. Also, we would have gotten no sleep with either child without the swing. Colter slept in his all the time and Ally does too. I highly recommend getting both. There are so many kinds out there and most you can get used which is great. Our swing we got from Diane and Brent's dad and we got the bouncy seat used. Also those play mats are great. The Ingrams gave us one and both our kids spent/spend a lot of time on those. They have things that hang down over their heads they can bat at and stare at. Anyway, I think that's all I can think of. Sorry for the novel. But after all this... every baby is different. All I know is you need something that keeps the baby busy and lets you have time for yourself.

Jenni said...

I agree with Lara, you need a safe place to put the baby and have them be entertained while you shower.. or you know PEE! I still use our Johnny Jump Up for Avery and she is one, but thats for about 4-5 month-ish! That was a MUST for both of mine.. plus it gives them a little excercise. We have a bouncer as well, and that was SUPER nice at the newborn stage... but never did the swing thing. The swings Im guessing (since we never used them) are only good for the first few months.. they out grow them pretty fast I could imagine. Hope this helps! Good luck!

Emily said...

I already wrote you an email about the bouncer thing, but as far as being ready goes, don't wory. All I had ready was a carseat in the car and even if you didn't have that, Rob could always run home and put one in and come back to the hospital and get you. David came early and my plans to prepare were for the next day. I didn't even have an overnight bag ready and made Jason grab a couple things while I was having contractions. The truth is... David came just fine anyway, you wear a gown at the hospital, they give you soap, shampoo etc.,you just wrap your baby in a dumb blanket thing they have for you to use there anyway, and anything else you need Rob can go get and bring back after the baby comes. David even used to nap in a laundry basket at my parents and LOVED it! So quit worrying, Lily will come when she wants, she'll be beautiful, you'll do great, and you won't care about anything else when she gets here.

The Cook Clan said...

Well, I had both and I think both are a must. Mckenna loved to be in one or the other. Especially if you get a bouncer that vibrates. My little gal was colicy and I tell ya what, it will give you some sanity! Good luck!